"This is the best Christmas present I've gotten in 29 years!"
~ Grandpa Mike
After a week of trying to hide the fact that I'm pregnant (and thinking up creative explanations as to why I'm not drinking!), we told my parents the big news. Dave and I waited until all of the presents had been opened on Christmas morning and pretended that we had forgotten to set out one of the gifts for my mom and dad.
We had a card for each of them -- one of those cards that allows you to record a personalized voice message -- in which we recorded ourselves saying, "Congratulations, Grandma!" and "Congratulations, Grandpa!" We also included a photo that we had taken of our positive pregnancy test. My mom realized what was happening almost immediately, but I think the news took a minute to sink in with my dad. After a moment or two, he finally asked, "Is this for real?" And, of course, it was. We all hugged and cried some very happy tears for a bit afterwards before heading up to the attic to start pulling down all of the baby gear my mom has been saving for this very day...
Excited doesn't even begin to describe my parents' reaction -- they seemed genuinely over-joyed and haven't stopped asking us when they can start spreading the news that they are going to be grandparents.
No comments:
Post a Comment